11/5/09

the things we leave behind

Some parts of Uganda that I miss:

-People. All the dear friends I left behind.
-Being able to walk everywhere easily.
-Pots of strong, loose leaf tea in ceramic teapots with knitted tea cozies.
-The mountain.
-Fresh food, milk, cheese.
-Fun roads.
-Lively singing at church.
-Wednesday night devos.
-Real chai.
-Glorious days.
-Sunrises over the mountain.
-Lazy Mondays.
-The market.
-Bartering in the market.
-The New Vision and its typos.
-Time to sit and read books.
-Knowing that being a good friend is more important than being on time.
-Pancake nights.
-Community Bible study.
-Open diversity of perspective.
-Constantly being around people who weren't my age.
-The music on pancake nights.
-Chapatis.
-Eldima and Taufiq.

That's all for now - I'm making myself homesick. Coming soon: the parts of Uganda I miss that I didn't appreciate when I was there.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Leila! Now I feel homesick too!!! I miss so many things and like you said-even the things that drove me nuts while I was there are things I would kill for now!!!! And the worst part is trying to tell people about all the things you miss-its hard to talk about things to people who have no frame of reference!!! Oh Africa! It gets in your blood and it just doesn't leave!

    ReplyDelete