11/3/09

autumn.

Lately I've been surrounded by fall colors. I step on crunchy leaves when I walk, and the cool air slaps my cheeks when I step outside. I didn't know how I'd feel about fall before it came upon me. I didn't think I'd like the coldness, but I didn't even have a frame of reference for the rest of it. In Uganda, November meant the onset of hotter weather and not much else.

Now I know how I feel about fall.

First, I should say that I don't like the word "fall." I much prefer "autumn."

And I like autumn. I've decided. I love the colors and the coolness and the leaves underfoot. I love the contrast, the perfect deep blue sky framed by a thousand orange and yellow and brown leaves.

Time passes, and the world keeps spinning around on its axis and hurtling through space in a gigantic ellipse around a ball of immensely hot gas that we call the sun. God ordains the passage of seasons, and they are good in his eyes.

I think that accepting that is the important thing. Beauty can be found in any season change.

Even when the change signifies the death of life and the onset of winter.

Even when the change means the end of a beautiful part of life.

Even when what's coming seems dismal compared to what passed.

Even when anything.

God brings beauty when we find his peace in our chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment