1/3/10

the things I'd change about America if I were God

-The weather. It's so cold.
-Sound-proof houses. I miss the sound of rain on mabati.
-Busy time-orientedness
-Bad coffee
-Lack of an easily available kitchen
-People who complain that Wal-Mart doesn't have enough variety
-Not being able to walk places easily
-Overcooked vegetables in the cafeteria
-Weeks with tests in every class
-Did I mention the coldness?
-No geckos on my ceiling
-Cold toilet seats

I'm adjusting fine. I can handle everything on that list whether or not it changes. I'm told that the weather usually gets warmer at some point.

To be honest, the thing I miss most about Uganda is the people. I miss team devos, pancake nights, volleyball games, church services, and cookouts. I really miss the singing, the fellowship, the love and accountability and closeness. Everything else I can do without. It's tough going without power outages, but I can handle it. It's the camaraderie – the “high spirited fellowship” – that I miss more than anything.

3 comments:

  1. Those are the things I still miss! It's been 8 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should live in Africa.

    I know its HOME...

    to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Walmart comment made me laugh out loud. :-) Love reading your thoughts and musings, Leila. What a beautiful soul you are. The Cashes really miss the Shelburnes. All of you! Love and blessings to you--

    ReplyDelete